Home Latest News Coronavirus Updates: Novel Coronavirus Cases In India Rise To 258; Maldives Pledges $200,000 Contribution To The SAARC Corona Emergency Fund, And More…
Latest News

Coronavirus Updates: Novel Coronavirus Cases In India Rise To 258; Maldives Pledges $200,000 Contribution To The SAARC Corona Emergency Fund, And More…

Share
Share

Novel coronavirus cases in India rose to 258 on Saturday after 35 fresh cases were reported in various parts of the country, the Health Ministry said. However, according to ICMR 271 individuals have been confirmed positive among suspected cases and contacts of known positive cases. A total of 15,701 samples from 14,811 individuals have been tested for SARS-CoV2 as on March 21 10 am, it said. Among the Health Ministry’s 258 figure are 39 foreign nationals, including 17 from Italy, three from the Philippines, two from the UK, one each belonging to Canada, Indonesia and Singapore. The total figure includes four deaths reported from Delhi, Karnataka, Punjab and Maharashtra. “The total number of active COVID-19 cases across India stands at 231 so far,” the ministry said, adding that 23 others have been cured/discharged/migrated while four have died. Maharashtra has reported the highest number of COVID-19 cases at 52, including three foreigners, followed by Kerala at 40, including seven foreign nationals.

Maldives on Saturday pledged USD 200,000 contribution to the SAARC Corona Emergency Fund proposed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi with an initial offer of USD 10 million from India to help combat the fast-spreading COVID-19 pandemic in the region. Welcoming Prime Minister Modi for creating the emergency and relief fund, Maldives Foreign Minister Abdulla Shahid said the country will join the initiative to tackle the challenges posed by the coronavirus pandemic. “We welcome PM @narendramodi’s initiative to create an COVID-19 Emergency Relief Fund and its pledge of USD 10million. Government of Maldives joins the initiative and pledge USD 200,000 to address issues emanating from COVID-19”.

The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) issued new guidelines to facilitate continued testing amid the constraints of the coronavirus pandemic. Noting that the spread of COVID-19 had evolved into “an even greater health and societal emergency” since its March 6 communique, WADA urged Anti-Doping Organizations (ADOs) to act in accordance with restrictions placed by local health authorities “to ensure proper protection of athletes and doping control personnel, while protecting the integrity of doping control programs, particularly in the lead-up to the 2020 Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games.” WADA’s latest guidelines advise anti-doping organizations to make sure that sample collectors are free from any symptoms of illness. Collectors should also ask athletes if they have any symptoms or if they or anyone at the collection site are in the groups thought to be at heightened risk from COVID-19. If test collection personnel are found to have contracted the virus, athletes they tested should be informed and vice versa, WADA said on Friday.

Defence Minister Rajnath Singh and US counterpart Secretary of Defence Mark T Esper on Friday discussed about the grave situation arising out of the COVID-19 pandemic and agreed to remain in touch during this trying period.

Both the ministers expressed confidence that through open communication and mutual support, the world can overcome the pandemic.

“Mr Singh briefed Secretary Esper about Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s initiative to coordinate COVID-19 relief efforts in South Asia,” a defence official said.

Besides, the two defence ministers reviewed progress in bilateral defence cooperation spanning cooperation in the region, expanding military-to-military engagements and defence trade and industry, as part of India-US comprehensive global strategic partnership.

He invited Secretary Esper to visit India at the earliest convenience.

Coronavirus has infected more than 2,45,000 people and killed more than 10,000 across the world.

In a tweet, Rajnath Singh said: “We also reviewed the progress in bilateral defence cooperation as a part of India-US comprehensive global strategic partnership. India and the United States are committed to further deepen and strengthen the defence cooperation.”

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Miss

WHO
Latest News

Nipah Outbreak In India 2026 Updates: WHO Says Virus Risk Is Low After Two Confirmed Cases – All About The NiV

The World Health Organization (WHO) has reassured the public that the risk of a Nipah virus outbreak in India remains low, following the...

The Nipah virus is considered one of the deadliest zoonotic infections globally, not because it spreads rapidly like influenza or COVID-19, but because of its extremely high fatality rate, rapid progression, and severe brain involvement. Medical experts warn that once symptoms escalate, the disease can turn fatal within days. According to available data, the case fatality rate of Nipah virus ranges between 50 and 75 per cent, placing it among the most lethal viral infections known to humans. In this explainer, Dr Dip Narayan Mukherjee, Consultant – Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, CK Birla Hospitals, CMRI, sheds light on why the virus is so dangerous and difficult to control. Why Is the Nipah Virus So Deadly? According to Dr Mukherjee, Nipah’s lethality lies in a combination of delayed symptom recognition, aggressive disease progression, and early involvement of the brain. “Nipah virus often begins with very non-specific symptoms, which makes early detection difficult. By the time it is clinically suspected, the virus may have already affected the brain,” he explains. Early Symptoms Often Go Unnoticed One of the biggest challenges in controlling Nipah virus is that its initial symptoms closely resemble common viral illnesses, leading to delays in diagnosis and isolation. Early symptoms include: Fever Headache Cough Muscle pain General weakness “These symptoms are easily mistaken for flu, viral fever, or respiratory infections,” says Dr Mukherjee. “This delay gives the virus time to progress silently.” Severe Brain Infection Drives High Mortality The most dangerous aspect of Nipah virus infection is its neurological involvement. The virus frequently causes encephalitis, or inflammation of the brain, which significantly increases the risk of death. Neurological symptoms may include: Seizures Confusion and altered consciousness Extreme drowsiness Coma “Once the central nervous system is involved, the disease becomes very difficult to manage,” Dr Mukherjee notes. “At this stage, treatment is largely supportive because there is no specific antiviral therapy available.” This lack of targeted treatment options makes early detection critical. Human-to-Human Transmission Raises Risk While Nipah virus is primarily transmitted from fruit bats, it can also spread from person to person, particularly in healthcare settings. Dr Mukherjee points out that: Caregivers and healthcare workers are at higher risk Exposure to high viral loads can worsen outcomes Inadequate infection control increases transmission risk “Strict adherence to infection control practices is essential. Even a small lapse can result in secondary infections,” he says. Zoonotic Nature Makes Exposure Hard to Predict Nipah virus is transmitted from fruit bats, either directly or through intermediate hosts such as pigs. This zoonotic pattern makes outbreaks unpredictable, especially in regions where humans, animals, and wildlife interact closely. Adding to the challenge: There is no approved vaccine Treatment options remain limited Isolation protocols must be strictly enforced What Can Reduce Nipah Fatalities? According to experts, early action remains the most effective defence against Nipah virus. Key measures include: Early isolation of suspected cases Strict use of personal protective equipment (PPE) Rapid escalation and referral to specialised centres Strong hospital infection control protocols “The earlier the virus is identified and contained, the better the chances of preventing severe disease and fatalities,” Dr Mukherjee emphasises. The Bottom Line Nipah virus continues to be a serious public health threat because of its high fatality rate, neurological complications, and lack of targeted treatment. Its ability to masquerade as a mild illness in the early stages makes vigilance crucial. Health experts stress that awareness, early suspicion, and strict infection control are currently the most powerful tools to reduce deaths linked to this deadly virus. As Dr Mukherjee concludes, “With Nipah, time is the most critical factor. Early recognition can save lives.”
Latest News

Viral Outbreaks 2026: What Are Scientists Watching Out For?

As the world moves deeper into 2026, global health agencies and scientists remain on high alert for emerging and re-emerging viral threats. While...

Bird Flu
Latest News

H5N1 Virus Scare in Chennai: Doctor Explains the Risks, Symptoms, and Preventive Measures

A wave of concern has gripped Chennai following reports linked to the H5N1 avian influenza virus, commonly known as bird flu. While health...

heart disease
Case Study

Why the Fight Against Pediatric Heart Disease Starts Before Birth

Every heartbeat tells a story, but for thousands of infants in India, that story being interrupt before it truly begins. Despite the leap...

Parkinson's Disease
Latest News

Parkinson’s Disease: How the Interaction of Two Genes Triggers Neurodegeneration

Parkinson’s disease (PD) is one of the most common neurodegenerative disorders in the world, affecting millions of people and steadily increasing in prevalence...

Section title

Related Articles
Measles Outbreak
Latest News

Measles Outbreak Surges Across the U.S. With Hundreds of New Cases Reported

A worrying resurgence of measles is unfolding across the United States, with...

Weight Loss Tips
Latest News

Difficulty Losing Weight? 7 Weight Loss Tips For People With Polycystic Ovary Syndrome

For many women, losing weight is already challenging — but for those...

Hyportension
Latest News

Two Injections A Year For Blood Pressure? Lancet Review Signals Major Shift In Hypertension Care

High blood pressure, often called the “silent killer,” affects more than a...

×